[Coco] CoCo IDE interface

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Thu Jul 9 16:38:55 EDT 2015

Actually, it wasn't an arbitrary point.  It was at the AT bus.  Most of
the IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics) signals are the same as the
signal names on the AT bus.  The IDE drive was just an integration of
the hard drive controller (which was previously a board that plugged
into the bus of a PC) to the hard drive itself. The idea in itself was
not a bad idea.  Instead of buying a single HD controller card and
hoping it would work with any manufacturer's HD the idea was that each
manufacturer would design the controller for its own particular HD and
integrate it as part of the HD.  Then it would be a simple matter of
attaching the drive to what amounts to an extension of the AT bus. The
IDE interface in one form or another existed as the defacto standard for
many years and, indeed, it did help to standardize and simplify the
connection of a hard drive to a PC.  As Stephen pointed out the SCSI
interface has always been a superior albeit more expensive method.

That being said, I doubt that a Color Computer running at less than 2
MHz would be able to realize the performance gains that a SCSI offers
over an IDE to any reasonable extent.  The bus speed of an IDE interface
is faster than the clock speed of the 6809 in the CoCo.

Dave Philipsen