[Coco] NitrOS-9 beginner

Robert Hermanek rhermanek at centurytel.net
Thu Jul 9 15:40:56 EDT 2015

So... maybe my coco is getting flaky.  Using latest and greatest DW4
server, and the proper DW image, I try booting NitrOS and it hangs, or
sometimes I get the "FAILED" message.  And I do this five or six times.
And finally, it succeeds, and I make it to the prompt and all is well.

It put me in mind of something I noticed ages ago:  One of my kids typed
this program in, from the coco3 extended basic book:

10 PCLEAR 8
20 FOR P=1 TO 8
30 PMODE 0,P
40 PCLS
50 LINE (128,0)-(138,10+(P-1)*15),PSET
60 CIRCLE (128,P*15),15
70 NEXT P
80 FOR P=1 TO 8:GOSUB 110:NEXT P
90 FOR P=7 TO 1 STEP -2:GOSUB 110:NEXT P
100 GOTO 80
110 PMODE 0,P
120 SCREEN 1,0
130 FOR T=1 TO 10:NEXT T
140 RETURN

And it animates a crude yo-yo using page switching.  My coco3 does this
for a while.  Then I see flickers, sometimes a little garbage from
32-col text screen in between page switches, and then eventually the
system hangs.

So, which part of my coco3 is failing?  It is stock 6809 + cloud 9 512K
upgrade (simm version), and I have HDB-DOS loaded in a rs-232 pak, so it
is running on the high-speed poke.  I'm thinking my OS-9 booting issues
are not OS-9 issues at all...

-RobertH