[Coco] Fuzix booting on a real CoCo3

Brett Gordon beretta42 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 23:35:36 EDT 2015

Kernel space is 64k minus the regular overhead.  User-space is 56k, w/ 8k
reserved for memory/io transfer routines.  The transfer routines as of now,
only use about 4k.  Once the drivers get better situated I'll probably
adjust that upward.  The kernel you see has Drivewire and IDE drivers.
Most of the other platforms (like Tormod's Dragon ports) use a simpler
memory banking scheme than the coco3, so they have disk swapping working
already.  The MMU swapping is coming. Meanwhile, a 512k coco will do about
8-9 processes, and more when we get rid of "all memory" binaries.
User-space is cobbled together from mostly UZI, with a sprinkling of early,
early linux code, Elk, and sys5-7, all in C, compiled with gcc6809 &
LWTools.  libc seems to work.  I haven't written much in userspace, though.
  We have most of the usual unix suspects: mount, mknod, mv, cp, ls....
There is Levee, a VI text editor clone - I haven't been able to get working
yet.  Many of the normal unix system calls are in place.   Our Bourne
Shell's code is commented: "S. R. Bourne,Bell Telephone Laboratories".  :)
 vintage code! bonus points!

Anyway,   I've mainly just bashed source together from various places in
Tormod's code, and from Will Sowerbutt's code, with an eye for merging as
much code with Tormod's work.  Everyday there's a few new commits from
different folks working on various different ports/part. And thing seem to
really take shape really fast with just a few programmers working on
things.  It's open source, so anyone's invited to inspect it, contribute.

Hopefully, I'll be able to do some nifty user-land stuff soon.  I won't
mind having a "dwgetty" to log me in via Telnet.  I'd also like to see if I
could port a "frotz" Z-machine to it  :)