[Coco] Mail blocking, attachments, etc.

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Fri Jul 3 07:57:37 EDT 2015

Well hello all,

I had a nice day yesterday learning some scores I'm conducting on Wednesday,
so I didn't notice anything on the list until this morning.

Most of the info has been reported correctly already, so this is just a followup.

Josh has been on the list for a while -- in fact, getting him on the list was
a little tricky, as IIRC it coincided with the appearance of DMARC. I went
round & round with this until the Mailman software was updated to include the
"via CoCo" info that gets it correctly past the DMARC blocking system (which,
though initiated by Yahoo is also used by other large mail hosts).

As for attachments, no large attachments are allowed. The maximum message size
is 64K, as many of you have learned when I bounced your posts (yes, I have to
attend to each one). So anyone receiving a large attachment has received it
off-list.

Getting past security might be possible, but again, as some of you know from
experience, I check each and every subscription request by doing a web search.
If the email and subscriber name don't come up together in a search (one
reason I ask for a full name for subscriptions), then I reject the request and
send a note to the potential subscriber asking for a sentence about their CoCo
interests. Those who answer are subscribed and welcomed, those who don't are
left unsubbed. Also, those who give a smart-alec response like "why?" or "I am
not a bot" are left unsubbed as being incapable of following instructions. :)

Subscriber names can be changed by the subscriber once they are approved.
Using a real name is polite, but is only required for subscribing.

That is all! Would appreciate if we could keep the noise down! Thanks!

Dennis