[Coco] i am a member

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Thu Jul 2 20:17:09 EDT 2015

Okay, people. It's great that people are sticking up for Josh but let's
see if we can let the argument die down, shall we?

That said, I'm going to contribute to the noise with some facts.

First: Josh is *NOT* the one doing this. Nobody is hacking the list. It
isn't somehow magically open. Josh is not setting his from address to
'Josh Harper via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com>'. It is being done by the
mailing list software in self defense.

Second: this is happening due to something called DMARC and the specific
manner in which Yahoo and some other operators have chosen to implement
it. See the link below for more information or consult your favourite
search engine for "DMARC" and "mailing list".

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg87153.html

The gist is that with the specific DMARC configuration Yahoo publishes,
it is impossible to reliably deliver email from Yahoo email addresses to
subscribers on mailing lists without changing the From address to be
something other than a Yahoo address. Hence rewriting the From address
to be the list address - the only address the list software knows it
controls legitimately.

The only other option is to ban all subscribers from users of email
services such as Yahoo that publish such DMARC policies. That would be a
lot more problematic in the long run since it would remove a large
percentage of subscribers from most mailing lists.

For the record, what the Coco list does is about the least bad option
and it is employed by many other list operators.