[Coco] OS-9 RAM disk with "rdisk" command? And /md descriptor?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sat Jan 31 22:32:44 EST 2015

> On Jan 31, 2015, at 9:16 PM, Bill Pierce via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> Allen, If you look in the 'nitros9/6x09L2/modules/rbf/" folder on any distribution disk, you'll find "MyRam.dr" and "MyRam_R0_96k.dd" which are Gene Hesket's ram disk.
> It will auto-init, auto-format and if you don't like the size, deiniz it, dmode the "sct" to the "sector" size you want, and "just use it"
> Deiniz it, and it returns the memory back to OS9.

Isn’t that how most OS-9 RAM disks worked?

This is why I preferred the one I used with rdisk. None of those additional steps were needed. You could just type a command to terminate it, then another and it was back with a new size. So much easier.

Yet, when I look at my old StG BBS startup files, I see I switched over for some reason:

*rdisk ‘Very Small Hard Drive’ 16 </1
*y
dmode /r0 sct=8
iniz r0
format /r0 “Very Small Hard Drive” R

I am not sure why I commented out the rdisk — but I also see later steps where I used dmode on the /h0 and /h1 descriptors which were my EZ135 SCSI drives.

Wow, I had alot of neat stuff in there. I wonder what “zclock” did, and I had forgotten about “eko” — it had embedded stuff you could print, useful for the BBS.

eko Today is \c; date t

I guess it didn’t have an escape for the date ;-)

		— A