[Coco] Drivewire on an older computer via USB

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Sat Jan 31 19:48:44 EST 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Heskett" <gheskett at wdtv.com>
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2015 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Drivewire on an older computer via USB

> On Saturday 31 January 2015 09:50:26 Francis Swygert did opine
> And Gene did reply:
>> Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 22:51:44 -0800
>> From: "K. Pruitt" <pruittk at roadrunner.com>

<SNIP

>> ===================================
>>
>> Sounds like you may have a hard drive or controller issue. Could just
>> be the drive controller driver or the way Java accesses the HD, I
>> suppose. If it's the driver or controller this may only work on
>> certain models of computers. Still, this is a good tip that may help
>> someone with an older computer. Hmm... maybe it's the way Java
>> accesses the thumbdrive....
>>

>> Frank Swygert
>> Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
>> 803-604-6548
>
> I would want to point out that the "thumbdrive" is flashrom, and in that
> service may have a short life in any instance where there is filesystem
> read-write cycles in the background.  There is no failure warning built
> into them, so I would want to keep a backup, done daily at least,
> someplace on the HD so that when the failure does hit, its just a matter
> of plugging in a new drive and dsaving your backup to it to resume.  You
> would potentially lose a days work, depending on your own creative
> schedule.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> US V Castleman, SCOTUS, Mar 2014 is grounds for Impeaching SCOTUS

Okay, well Frank, Gene, and Aaron have basically said that a USB is not the
way to go so I would take that as gospel.

I have Linux installed on a second partition, so I can see if I have drive
issues under Linux.  I might just need to reinstall XP.

So, in conclusion, you can run drivewire/nitros9 via a USB, but you really
shouldn't.  :)