[Coco] Drivewire on an older computer via USB

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Sat Jan 31 09:50:26 EST 2015

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 22:51:44 -0800
From: "K. Pruitt" <pruittk at roadrunner.com>

The computer I use for my drivewire server is an older computer.  It's a
997mhz Pentium 3 with 512 megs of memory running XP service pack 2.

Drivewire, more specifically java, strains my system to the limit at times.
Consequently drivewire crashes on my system quite easily if the stars are
not aligned just right.

I've limited that somewhat by giving java all the memory it wants - which it
seems to like, and occasionally takes.

But recently I moved my drivewire directory and my Coco directory (it holds
all my .dsk files) to a USB 2.0 thumbdrive and everything is running so much
smoother and reliably as a result.  There seems to be a slight increase in
speed, but it may be just the amazing increase in the smoothness of the
system that may make it just appear to be faster.

So, putting your stuff on a thumbdrive may make things run smoother for you
if you're having issues.

Sounds like you may have a hard drive or controller issue. Could just be the drive controller driver or the way Java accesses the HD, I suppose. If it's the driver or controller this may only work on certain models of computers. Still, this is a good tip that may help someone with an older computer. Hmm... maybe it's the way Java accesses the thumbdrive....

Frank Swygert
Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
803-604-6548