[Coco] 1MB, 2MB, 8MB upgrades Was: Clud9 512K upgrade for the Coco3

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jan 30 02:59:10 EST 2015

On Thursday 29 January 2015 22:22:34 Stephen H. Fischer did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Will someone please refresh my memory.
>
> TONY DISTEFANO 1 MB memory upgrade and his 2 MB memory upgrade included
> OS-9 programs to mark parts of memory used so that Graphics memory
> never had to cross a 512 KB boundary.
>
> I have found his disk for the 1 MB upgrade with the "mega" program and
> I remember the 2 MB disk had a "mega2" program.
>
> What is strange is that my last OS-9 boot disk does not have "mega2"
> called by the startup script and "mega2" is not on the disk.
>
> Did I download a system patch from Delphi that made running these
> programs unnecessary?
>
> I assume that NitrOS-9 includes this.

There was once, a long time ago, a byte in the init file that had to be
changed from a $1f to a $7f in order for all the memory of my 2 meg kit to
be reported, but this was well before the 6309 was discovered.  I just
checked the only init.asm in a 2 day old pull, and apparently that byte
has disappeared sometime in the last 20+ years as it is not there today,
nor is there a reference to it's being removed in the .asm files header.

Also, in the FWIW category, the just built init module still shows its
version 3.2.9 in the sign-on blurb.  If we are now calling it 3.3.0,
should this not also be updated?

> I clearly remember telling Jeff Vavasour about this and he made a
> change to his CoCo3 Emulator.
>
> SHF

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)