[Coco] 'arc' copy command and Stack Overflow (ERROR #207)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jan 27 18:06:56 EST 2015

On Tuesday 27 January 2015 10:00:02 Allen Huffman did opine
And Gene did reply:
> > On Jan 27, 2015, at 1:14 AM, Stephen H. Fischer
> > <SFischer1 at Mindspring.com> wrote:
> >
> > My quick glance at "Copy.asm" says disk full is no longer returned
> > like the original OS-9 "Copy" did.
>
> Surely that has to be an oversight. I will have to try that out and see
> what happens. (Man, having CoCoSDC makes things like this so easy to
> test.)
>
> As to tmode, I noticed that too. Even during my days working for
> Microware on OS-9/68K and the OS-9000 platforms, the official
> suggestion on how you turn off echo, etc. was to fork "tmode" since
> the underlying structure might change in the future between major
> revisions, but the API of the command line would not.
>
> When I ported MiniBanners from RS-DOS to BASIC09, I forked "tmode" to
> turn off echo. When I run it on NitrOS-9, I keep seeing an error
> message scattered on my screen:
>
> 	Syntax error:   -echo
>
> Was the original tmode supporting "tmode -echo"?

Yes.  But in the merging and the making of options follow the same pattern
as the big boys, it IIRC turned into an eko=1 or 0 (I think, my coco is
not powered at the moment)

This all took place at the same time as changing the dir command from a
dir xe to get an extended listing of the cmds dir, to dir -x or -e or
both.  That way the fact that it was an option argument was made more
universal.

That was (IIRC) even before Nitros9 became the name.

> I cannot recall, and
> have not gotten to my source code to look what I did, but I know I
> wrote this before NitrOS-9 on stock OS-9 L2.
>
> In my CoCo OS-9 assembly and C programs, I did the trick of getting a
> copy of the options buffer, modifying the bytes needed, and setting it
> back. Those still work -- the irony of those structures remaining the
> same for a command changing amuses me.
>
> 		-- A

Chuckle, but it still floats my boat. ;-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)