[Coco] More Color Forth

Stephen Pereira spereira1952 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 25 15:08:15 EST 2015

Hi Art,

Thanks very much for your response.

Yes, I know what you are saying.  This is probably something that I am not understanding as I read the disassembly of the Disk Basic code.

Here is the code I am looking at (I truncated the comments):

2124 CF7E CC 02 00       LDD  #$0200   * FILE TYPE=2, ASCI
2125 CF81 FD 09 57       STD  DFLTYP   *
2126 CF84 BD CA 04       JSR  LCA04    GET NEXT UNOPEN FIL
2127 CF87 4F             CLRA          *ZERO FLAG - FIRST
2128 CF88 8D 2B          BSR  LCFB5    *WRITE A BYTE TO BU
2129 CF8A EC 62          LDD $02,S     GET END ADDRESS
2130 CF8C A3 64          SUBD $04,S    SUBTRACT THE START
2131 CF8E C3 00 01       ADDD #$0001   THE SAVED DATA BLOC
2132 CF91 1F 02          TFR D,Y       SAVE LENGTH IN Y
2133 CF93 8D 1E          BSR LCFB3     WRITE FILE LENGTH T
2134 CF95 EC 64          LDD $04,S     GET THE START ADDRE
2135 CF97 8D 1A          BSR LCFB3     WRITE OUT THE START
2136 CF99 AE 64          LDX $04,S     GET START ADDRESS
2137 CF9B A6 80    LCF9B LDA ,X+       GRAB A BYTE
2138 CF9D BD CC 24       JSR LCC24     WRITE IT OUT
2139 CFA0 31 3F          LEAY -1,Y     DECREMENT BYTE COUN
2140 CFA2 26 F7          BNE LCF9B     BRANCH IF ALL BYTES
2141 CFA4 86 FF          LDA #$FF      FIRST BYTE OF POSTA
2142 CFA6 8D 0D          BSR LCFB5     WRITE IT OUT - EOF
2143 CFA8 4F             CLRA          * FIRST ARGUMENT OF
2144 CFA9 5F             CLRB          * A DUMMY - ZERO VA
2145 CFAA 8D 07          BSR LCFB3     WRITE OUT POSTAMBLE
2146 CFAC 35 36          PULS A,B,X,Y  GET CONTROL ADDRESS
2147 CFAE 8D 03          BSR LCFB3     WRITE OUT THE TRANS
2148 CFB0 7E A4 2D       JMP LA42D     GO CLOSE ALL FILES

Because of my prior experience with the 8080, I am probably not reading the code correctly.

In line 2129 when it says LDD $02,S  doesn’t that mean to get the address 2 bytes down from the top of stack and put them into registers A and B?

In line 2130 when it says SUBD $04,S  doesn’t that mean to subtract the address 4 bytes down from the top of stack from registers A and B?

In line 2134 when it says LDD $04,S  doesn’t that mean to get the address 4 bytes down from the top of stack and put them into registers A and B?

In line 2132 I see TFR D,X and in line 2136 I see LDX $04,S, so I thought that the code loads the X register on its own.

That is how I am interpreting what I see.  If that is not correct, there is my problem!  This is why I thought that I only have to have the addresses on the stack, and I cannot see where I have to have them in other registers.

I am not trying to be argumentative - I am only trying to learn by saying what I thought I was reading.  I greatly appreciate any advice and counsel that you may offer.

smp
--
Stephen M. Pereira
Bedford, NH  03110