[Coco] OS-9 "lick" command

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sun Jan 25 04:50:37 EST 2015

Does anyone else have this? I ran across a file called "lick" in my CMDS directory. "lick -?" produces a help screen that looks very similar to FORMAT. It is similar to the NitrOS-9 "format" but I can't compare to the original OS-9 version. "lick" has "-?" for help and NitrOS-9's does not -- "help format" to find it (unless that was removed at some point).

Since I can't see the original format to compare, I just assume this was just a joke hack. Embedded in the binary is "COLOR COMPUTER DISK LICK" but it doesn't look like it was just edited in a hex editor -- some of the changed terms don't have any padding around them where a longer word would have been (except the usage, which is "Use: LICK    /devname <opts>" and clearly has the spaces where "FORMAT" would have gone.

Very weird. I don't know if it was just a hack/joke, or if it really was an alternate format utility someone wrote.

		-- A