[Coco] CoCo2 RAM upgrade idea questions

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 19:12:55 EST 2015

Hi guys,

In looking through the various data sheets etc., looking for a possibility to use
a programmable (from the CoCo) sram as the 6847 char set memory, it has
occurred to me that a RAM upgrade using bank switching should not be
too hard to implement.  Trying to decide if I want to try and make one.

I don’t really know anything about OS9 and how it handles memory.

Assuming that it would be OS9 that would take advantage of the memory,
my questions to are…

What size RAM bank would be best to swap in and out the 64k addressing space
from the extended memory?

What address range should it occupy?

From the programming (OS9) point of view, what is the preferred method of handling the
bank switching?  And how has it been handled in the past with ram upgrades on the CoCo1/2?

What would be the best amount of total memory?  2mb?

What would be the best version of OS9/NitrOS9 to run on a CoCo1/2 with extended memory?
Level 2?  Level one is for just 64k systems?

Thanks,

- Ed