[Coco] Worst game ever...

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jan 23 18:50:48 EST 2015

On 24/01/2015 9:19 AM, Allen Huffman wrote:
> It is ironic that the mode most used was the black and white mode ;-)

> What mode was your first CoCo game? -- A

I always hated the CoCo VDG and I was even hesitant at buying a CoCo as
my first venture into hires color graphics.

Two things swayed me, the 6809 CPU and the 700 Radio Shack stores
Australia wide which seemed like a strong avenue to get my games sold
through.

The fact that the graphics were inferior to what else was available
elsewhere and that there were hardly any big software companies creating
commercial software for it is what attracted me to the CoCo (and the
Rainbow magazine).

So, my first game was to break the color boundaries of games on the
CoCo. I liked the 8 colors of semigraphics mode (the horizontal
resolution sucked) so my first game was Neutroid 2 (Neutroi 1 was on the
TRS-80 Model 1).

Later I created Donut Dilemma which utilized artifacting on a PAL system
using the buff PMODE3 mode. I discovered that on top of the 4 colors
here, I could also create red and blue! 6 colors on a CoCo 1/2. Nobody
ever used this.

When the CoCo3 came out, I had to take out the artifacting for it to
look good on a CoCo3 RGB display.

In Australia, Donut Dilemma was sold in Tandy Electronics store as a
cassette. On one side was a CoCo3 "enhanced" version while on the flip
side was the original CoCo 1/2 6-color PAL artifact version.

Then the CoCo3 came around and it was like the second coming ! (or
should that be the third?)     :)

Nick