[Coco] OS-9 128MB max hard drive - /sd1

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Jan 23 15:05:31 EST 2015

> On Jan 23, 2015, at 1:21 PM, Philip Zeigler <philip at zeiglers.net> wrote:
>
> I gave up on trying to do it all from the CoCo.  Since the format command is obviously broken with CoCoSDC in the recent builds.

I don't *think* this is a format issue (has that binary even changed in years?). The CoCoSDC firmware expands when you write, and format (if you just do LOGICAL) only writes LSN0, the allocation tables and the root directory. If you try to do a physical, that fails since it is not needed/supported by the SDC device driver. Similar things happened with other types of hard drives that didn't need low level formatting (the driver did not use it).

> I’ve resorted to using toolshed’s os9 format command to create the blank images for me (os9 format -e).  I created a blank 40 track DSDD image and a 128MB hard disk image.  I was then able to use the mb.floppy script to create a new boot disk with all of the drivers I wanted (it fails on the format, but the image is pre-formate so that doesn’t really matter) on the 40DSDD image.   Setting drive0 to the new boot disk and drive1 to the 128MB image, I have what I need.

That's cool - I didn't know there was a utility for that, but I suppose something had to be making all the .dsk images. I'll check in to that too.

Darren sent me some BASIC code that will do this on the CoCo. I will be giving it a shot tonight.

		-- Allen