[Coco] DW & VCC

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Jan 23 11:22:36 EST 2015

Aldo,
Yes, anything from Win Vista up really meesses with security and permissions due to UAC.
I run under an administrator's account at all times and have UAC turned off so I don't see a lot of those issues anymore.
I found that UAC (User Account Control) was making 3 or 4 copies of any VHD I was using and not updating the actual file, so if I opend the same VHD in another instance/emulator, it did not have the changes I had just made. A lot of this has to do with where you place the files. I got tired of screwing with it and just turned UAC off since there's only one person using this computer and one account (admin). UAC is useless under those conditions.
As an alternative, I also put together some "VCC Starter Kits" at
https://sites.google.com/site/dabarnstudio/the-color-computer-drivewire4-hdbdos-nitros9-starter-kit
As a warning, the installers are fairly large (abo 250 meg) as they include populated VHDs with Coco and OS9 manual (in PDF).
It's all contained in one installer (DW4, Vcc, and VHDs) and installs in one go.
I need to do some updating to some of the files, but for the most part, they work well. You may run into some of the same permission problems as well. The installer tries to handle all the permissions, but it doesn't always work on all systems.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com