[Coco] Build NitrOS9 on Windows, step by step

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Thu Jan 22 02:49:03 EST 2015

Yes it does!

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Coco [mailto:coco-bounces at maltedmedia.com] On Behalf Of Allen Huffman
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 11:19 AM
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [Coco] Build NitrOS9 on Windows, step by step

> On Jan 21, 2015, at 9:58 AM, Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> To fix, remove '.' from your path.  This is covered in the guide.

Thanks! Even without consulting the guide (beyond knowing what the make command was), I was able to produce a Windows build with no troubles other than the echo.  In my case, I just altered rules.mak temporarily to say "ECHO = /bin/echo" and boom... Done.

I booted a disk image in Xroar -- first time I've seen OS-9 L1 (beyond booting Deskmate 2 or something) since 1983/4 when a Radio Shack salesman friend of mine showed it to me. I didn't get it at all back then. And cool - 38K free! No wonder Radio Shack used to say to use 64K you needed OS-9. That's neat.

I'd say the Windows build works fine -- especially if this one snag is documented. Cool.

Up next will be Linux on a Raspberry Pi. Then I will have downloaded and built on all three supported platforms.

		-- Allen

P.S. - I understand my experience here may not be the norm since have been working with makefiles for 20 years and regularly use them and MinGW in my day job, but it does seem like the Windows stuff works well.