[Coco] Remind me: OS-9 boot track . . . ?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jan 21 13:54:36 EST 2015

On Wednesday 21 January 2015 11:20:52 Allen Huffman did opine
And Gene did reply:
> > On Jan 21, 2015, at 10:04 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> >
> > There is a B09 utility on my web page, in the Genes-os9-stf link,
> > called KRNL_2_DIR.b09, whose sole function is to make a directory
> > entry and FD sector for the boottrack which effectively turns it
> > into a normal file that could then be included in your backups.
> >
> > I used it for forensic purposes & never got around to writing a write
> > it back to disk tool.  That would be more complex, but not
> > impossible.  You would have to work in the /dn@ mode of opening the
> > raw disk of course. Works on SS or DS disks.
>
> This is cool. Yeah, I had some tool I used back then -- does KUTIL ring
> a bell? But I don't think I really NEED anything in that track for my
> backups. If I was to recreate a boot for Leisure Suit Larry or any of
> the games for OS-9, I'd want a new boot anyway for CoCoSDC... I think?
>
> I'll have to start exploring websites. I don't think I even knew you
> had a website, Gene.
>
> 		-- Allen

Been there for several years Allen, but I finally hooked up with namecheap
and bought an address for 5 years. And I've run out of warranty, even have
had my ten minute warning buzzer already, so I have no clue if I'll be
here to renew it in another 4 years. At 80 yo, one never knows, or makes
plans for extended periods.

Most viri filters will flag your message and throw it out if the addy is a
bare ipv4 address.  I thought I'd hide it behind port 6309, but googlebot
found it the first day it went live in 2006 or so.

Port 80 of course is useless because the ISP's block that to make you buy
their web service.  But theres no magic that says what port you must use,
and 6309 seemed like a fitting port number.

A REAL net neutrality law would outlaw that practice. Unforch, unless we
light up the switchboards in DC TODAY, Comcast will get their way before
the day is done, and they are the most poisonous viper in the snake pit of
ISP's.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)