[Coco] Build NitrOS9 on Windows, step by step

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Jan 21 10:13:43 EST 2015

I just gave this a shot on a Windows 7 PC doing the "dive right in, don't really read instructions" approach to see how difficult it is.

I installed TortoiseHg (since I already use TortoiseGit) and grabbed the lwtools, toolshed and nitros9 files. I already have MINGW on my PC since I use it for work.

1. lwtools - built with no problems.

2. toolshed - built, except for ar2 (install failed, file not found, did not make .exe, others like os9.exe and decb.exe appear there)

3/ nitros9 - exported the environment variable, and did a full "dsk" build. After about 5 minutes of building, it got to the "(coco1)" section and failed with "*** [dsk] Error 2" after leaving the nitros9/level1 directory. I ran the make again and it looked like it started from "(coco1)" and continued, but eventually looped around (I saw Multi-Vue, etc. a second time) and failed the same way.

It looks like it failed doing an "os9 rename" of "shell_21" to "shell" on the Level 1 CoCo 1 becker disk image. Error 211 (end of file). Indeed, "os9 dir" of that CMDS folder shows it is empty but I saw (in makefile output) the "os9 copy -o=0" line run with no errors after it.

Now I'll RTFM :)

		-- Allen