[Coco] Building NitrOS-9 on Mac OS X

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Tue Jan 20 21:44:33 EST 2015

Holy cow. That was easy. Maybe. Can someone see if I missed anything? Here were my steps, using the Wiki as a guide:

http://sourceforge.net/p/nitros9/wiki/Building_NitrOS9/ <http://sourceforge.net/p/nitros9/wiki/Building_NitrOS9/>

I did not have the “hg” (Mercurial) command already installed, and I haven’t gotten around to putting fink/homebrew or any of the other stuff on my current Mac install, so I just grabbed the ready-to-go Mac installer:

1. Download and install Mercurial from  http://mercurial.selenic.com/downloads <http://mercurial.selenic.com/downloads>

Once installed, that gave me the “hg” command-line tool. Now, I created a temporary directory to work in:

2. Create working directory in ~/Downloads/CoCo

3. Open a Terminal window, and “cd ~/Downloads/CoCo”

4. Download and build lwtools:
	a. cd ~/Download/CoCo
	b. hg clone http://lwtools.projects.l-w.ca/hg/ lwtools
	c. cd lwtools
	d. make
	e. sudo make install (I had to do sudo else the copy to /usr/local/bin would fail)

And this point, I could type “lwasm —usage” and see that it is there.

5. Download and build toolshed:
	a. cd ~/Download/CoCo
	b. hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/toolshed/code toolshed
	c. cd toolshed
	d. make -C build/unix install

QUESTION: Mine errors at the end when it’s trying to copy “cocofuse” over. Is this something else I need to install?/

…snip…
install cocofuse/cocofuse /usr/local/bin
install: cocofuse/cocofuse: No such file or directory
make: [install] Error 71 (ignored)
alsmb:toolshed allenh$

? I do seem to have “os9” and other commands, but I do not know if I had them from when I originally downloaded and installed last week.

6. Download NitrOS-9 - this one differs from the Wiki:
	a. cd ~/Downloads/CoCo
	b. hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/nitros9/code nitros9-code
		** Wiki just says “nitros9” but Files page on Sourceforge says “nitros9-code”…?
	c. cd nitros9
	d. make dsk PORTS=coco3_6309

In a blazing flash of light I had disk images for my 6309 CoCo 3.

My questions are:

	1) cocofuse?
	2) the “hg” get command for NitrOS-9: what is nitros9 versus nitros9-code?

Amazing. I had put this off since I expected much more of a task.

I will be replicating these steps on a Raspberry Pi next.

--
Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
Sub-Etha Software - http://www.subethasoftware.com - Established 1990!

P.S. Since 4/15/14, I have earned OVER $600  in Amazon gift cards via Swagbucks! Use my link and I get credit:
http://swagbucks.com/refer/allenhuffman