[Coco] MC6847 External Character ROM

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jan 17 00:39:43 EST 2015

On 17/01/2015 12:15 PM, Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) wrote:
> I a nice improvement would be using SRAM and allowing the coco to change it
> on the fly using some port. The SRAM would be dumped from ROM upon reset.
>
> Just in case you end up without any other project ;)

You took the words right out of my mouth Luis!

Why just a ROM with a fixed character set when you could add some SRAM
and give the CoCo1/2 the ability for a programmable character set (or
PCG graphics).

It would be possible to create 256x192 graphics on a screen that only
occupies 512 bytes!  And it would be fast.

Several computers of the time had this and I was always dissapointed
that the 6847 VDG wasn't designed with this capability.

Nick