[Coco] Rusty ole FD-501

Thu Jan 15 23:51:16 EST 2015

What is on a track (Cylinder)? In the "1773 disk controller", while you need to read a lot of words there is a picture on page 1-17 that may help quickly.

http://maben.homeip.net/static/s100/western%20digital/datasheet/WD%201773%20Floppy%20Disk%20Controller.pdf

I have an earlier version of this document from ~ 197x.

We are using Double Density format on the CoCo. FLEX uses a strange method of having Track 0 always in Single Density and the rest of the tracks in Double Density if trace 0 says so.

> It's the information written to every block of data on the disk in addition to the 256 bytes of sector data.

Do you have a bulk tape eraser? I have one and would be bulk erasing the floppy disks before each test. I always use it if the floppy does not say what formatted it. I have ~ 5-8 different color labels.

Whenever I wanted to write a 40T 2S OS-9 5-1/4" disk for a friend I always had to bulk erase the floppy first. (Why, my 80T head is one half the width of 40T head.)

SHF