[Coco] The CM17A "FireCracker" does work on the Coco

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Thu Jan 15 20:27:07 EST 2015

A few nights ago I was thinking about trying out Marty Goodman's DC Modem
conversion to make it in to a host for an X10 CM17A Firecracker module.
Well it dawned on me that I had a perfectly good RS232 pack sitting here
doing nothing, so I ordered myself a  DB25 to DB9 adapter which arrived
today, and just a short while later. I had it working.  It can be accessed
by simple basic pokes which of course means writing software for it for use
under OS-9 is not going to be an issue and for those folks who like DECB
they can use it without even using assembly.

So if anybody else would like to play around with remote control of lamps
and such, the inexpensive firecracker (CM17A) does work on our cocos via the
RS232 pack.

All I have written now is a little Basic "proof of concept" program that
turns on unit 1 on house A.  I'll be doing a command line utility for OS-9
that's will be a bit more full featured and useful.

The firecracker should work on the drivewire cable as well..  But I'm not so
sure how much drivewire would like the RTS and DTR signals being messed with
so I'll stick with the RS232 pack.