[Coco] CM-8 monitor detection pin

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Jan 14 19:39:03 EST 2015

> On Jan 14, 2015, at 5:38 PM, Arthur Flexser <flexser at fiu.edu> wrote:
>
> Out of curiosity, what would be the advantage of the CoCo 3's "knowing"
> whether a monitor was hooked up to it or not?  I suppose one could have
> one's software go to the RGB palette if an RGB monitor was detected.  But
> since users could not be depended upon to have the detection line enabled,
> it just seems like that would create incompatibilities.  (Under OS-9, I
> suppose you could have this be a driver option, but it seems like more
> trouble than it is worth.)

Indeed, I suppose it would have been useful — all those programs asking you to select [C]MP or [R]GB on the startup screen, having to always remember to type “RGB” in BASIC to get the palettes loaded, having to type “montype x” in OS-9 (though most of us just automated that). I never saw it used — is it even wired up?

And, does that mean this pin is available for input? :)

		— A