[Coco] Rusty ole FD-501

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 23:41:11 EST 2015

Yea sad stuff, I feel ya.  For the most part I've been happy with his command line imaging tools.  Atleast we got the source.   Some posts I saw on the net said the problem developed in newer versions of the tools and may not have been present in older versions.   It just 'Sounds' like such a simple thing though.  I mean the Side 0 operation seems fine.   What is different about what it's looking for on Side 1 of the diskette?

Browsing through his source code I noted that both utilities reference a common DISK.ASM and there lots of comments on parameters but not sure if I can discern enough of the assembly code to identify any section I could experiment with.  I was thinking perhaps it’s a timing issue (head movement time, seek time, etc) or maybe a interleave setting?

A common workaround for this problem (and I've verified that it does work) seems to be to DSKINI the floppy using his tool so that it will read back both sides properly.    The CoCo side doesn't ever seem to really care which platform formatted the disk.  I'm remembering that this is a old problem that I had almost forgotten about.  I had been using this workaround for a while.  I just don't often need to format disks on the PC so its not fresh in my memory.  If in my experimentations with his code I stumble across something that makes a positive difference concerning this issue I will let you guys no so we can store it.

On the issue of 'old code', softwares and authors/programmers....

I know these computers have been around for many decades... some of us have been familiar with them since our early teens, if not before.  Over all of those years many softwares, utilities, procedures, ideas, hardwares, etc have been developed, shared and often marketed...but most forgotten.  It's the reason we have all of these user groups and file repositories.  Those of us in this for the long haul recognize the need to preserve the work of others as well as our own for posterity and the benefit of others in the future.  YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN SOMETHING WILL BECOME USEFUL THAT HAD BEEN PREVIOSLY FORGOTTEN ABOUT! Ideas are great!  Not everyone may share your enthusiasm concerning your innovations in hardware, software or other magical trinkets you meddle with but somewhere out there people will appreciate the contribution and experience a bit of awe in the wake of your hard work.