[Coco] Rusty ole FD-501

univax!gatech!destroyer!trantor!kandur k at qdv.pw
Tue Jan 13 22:54:05 EST 2015

Chad,
> What I mean is that I saw on some web links that certain controllers wouldn’t work with high density drives.
> Like here.... http://tinyurl.com/kzog62g

It's not clear, what they mean by hi and low density there.
There is a much better definition here:
Radio Shack 26-3029 CoCo Disk Controller High Density Modifications
http://www.doki-doki.net/~lamune/computers/coco/hd-floppy/
I prefer the definitions as 180k, 360k, 720k, 1,2M, 1.44M
instead of high, low, double, quad, etc. density.

> It seems to suggest that controllers with the WD1773 chip were not capable of
> supporting it.  I don't know what that means!
> Does I it mean you can't use the HD 3.5" drives at all?  Does it only mean
> you are stuck with low density functionality?
> All I know is my FD-502 controller with HDBDOS EPROM seems to be handling it
> just fine.  But like I said, I haven't tinkered with NitrOS9 using the drive yet.

<trim>