[Coco] CnoY

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jan 13 10:28:08 EST 2015

On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 09:15:40 AM Aaron Wolfe did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Jan 13, 2015 4:57 AM, "Gene Heskett" <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Monday, January 12, 2015 11:07:29 PM Stephen H. Fischer did opine
> >
> > And Gene did reply:
> > > Aaron,
> > >
> > > Google has it set up to use their own software to view a pdf
> > > instead of "Adobe Reader X" on MY Computer.
> >
> > Speaking from the linux viewpoint, adobe dropped any pretense of
> > linux support a year or more ago, got tired of the linux userbase
> > reporting exploitable holes in flash & reader I guess.
> >
> > So, despite constant nagging to install flash, we don't as its
> > instantly exploitable these days.
> >
> > Eventually google saw a niche, and may have decided to fill it, but
> > have offered the *nix userbase exactly zilch.
>
> Well... at least in the case of the online pdf viewer in question,
> google seems to "support" linux.  At least it works fine in
> iceweasel, in lxde, on debian, for me, right now.  I doubt they went
> very far out of their way to ensure this since its just a web page,

That it does indeed Aaron, works well and surprisingly fast too.  The
first time it happened I thought there was an automatiic link to okular,
but there was enough diff to make me suspicious. I've gotten to where I
use okluar for all my manual printing for LinuxCNC, all are 400+ pages
each, and is being developed at a rate such 3 of the 4 that may be a bit
dated after a year on dead trees. Not to mention they get dirty after a
year in the shop.

okular handles my Brother color lasers double sided long edge binding
setup extremely well, where acroread was so buggy I'd have do reprints
just to get all good pages.  The okular printer interface detects when
the printer has a jam or whatever, then dutifully reprints the pages,
both on them, involved in the jam once it has been cleared.  What's not
to like?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)