[Coco] CnoY

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jan 13 04:57:18 EST 2015

On Monday, January 12, 2015 11:07:29 PM Stephen H. Fischer did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Aaron,
>
> Google has it set up to use their own software to view a pdf instead
> of "Adobe Reader X" on MY Computer.
>
> W7 using IE 11 with UAC on.
>
> After downloading I was able to look at the properties using "Adobe
> Reader X" and see the author, one thing that the special viewer
> cannot do for me.
>
> The strange viewer downloads the entire pdf.
>
> Everything looked a little strange, is this a fight between Google and
> Adobe like Dish saying they are going to drop Fox and they want
> viewers to call Dish and say they want Disk to carry Fox. (The names
> change but another fight pops up every so often.)
>
> SHF

Speaking from the linux viewpoint, adobe dropped any pretense of linux
support a year or more ago, got tired of the linux userbase reporting
exploitable holes in flash & reader I guess.

So, despite constant nagging to install flash, we don't as its instantly
exploitable these days.

Eventually google saw a niche, and may have decided to fill it, but have
offered the *nix userbase exactly zilch.

Winderz of course is the far larger userbase, primarily because if you
don't assemble your own machines, there is not any noticeable,
exploitable way, to get a new computer without paying the $100+ USD
"windows tax". So we make our own machines. Or we buy from some zero
reputation fly by nighter, which FWIW includes Intel, who sells a
miniscule small number of machines under the ARK brand name that are
windowless, no installed OS at all out of the box. Open the dvd drive
door, insert a linux install dvd you have downloaded and burned, and
install the flavor of linux you want in about 20 minutes.  I've bought 2
of those to run my cnc machines because they are nearly ideal to run a
pure software solution, and relatively cheap.  Those machines are online
right now, part of my local network. So their software updates are
automatic, after I review and ok them.  Several times a week in some
cases.  They automatically check for updates daily.

And we don't get hacked. or loaded up with viri and keyloggers looking to
steal our online banking details so they can drain our accounts.  Usually
there are watchdogs that bark up a storm to make us aware.

We also do not connect directly to the ISP supplied modem, but thru a
router setup to run the std iptables based firewall, and to do a native
address translation in such a way that you can bounce off my ISP granted
ipv4 address for weeks without getting past the router.  The only hole in
that scheme is my web page, and apache2, the web server software was just
updated a couple days ago to fix a recently discovered, exploitable
security hole.

We are "proactive" on security as opposed to buying some anti this or
that, installing it (and its back doors NSA insists on) and then going
quietly into that good night of having your windows machines hacked.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)