[Coco] Wiring inputs to the Coco

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Jan 12 03:52:20 EST 2015

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 10:49:21 PM Bruce W. Calkins did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Back in the '90s there was a series of articles in Model Railroad
> Magazine for an interface to run a model railroad with an 8 bit
> computer.  There were adapters for most of the popular 8 bitters and
> the CoCo was one.  I did save the articles, but have no idea if the
> components and circuit boards can be obtained today.
>
> Bruce W.

That is not a problem with eagle.  That which I have needed was easy
enough to draw up in eagle, and I've made several pcb's on my milling
machine from eagles output once its run thru pcb2gcode. But with a
spindle speed maxed out at 2500 revs, driving a V pointed etching bit
thats comfortable at 150,000 revs, that speed limit enforces slow motion,
so the typical 1.25 x 2 inch board for the position encoder on my cnc
lathe takes around 4 hours to mechanically etch both sides.  I could get
them done better at one of the board houses and not have to fight with
the fact that I cannot do "Plated thru" holes.  I have seen & read
several articles on doing that and all have involved environmentally
dangerous chemistry.

But even so, there is a certain pride in being able to say I made it
myself.

This board tells the computer where in the rotation the spindle is, with
a 1.8 degree accuracy, and can do it at spindle speeds aproaching 5000
rpms. With it, there is no limit other than the size of the single tooth
cutting tool, to the number of threads per inch or millimeter I can cut.
I just made a play takeup adjuster for the mill, using 1/2" A2 alloy tool
steel rod in the raw un-hardened state, at a thread size of 1/2", at 40
threads per inch, and bored  and threaded the place it went in the nut
holder.  I could just as easily have made it 39 or 41, even 80 threads
per inch, or 2" a thread, and there are NO change gears for threading in
the lathe now, the spindle to carriage motions are locked together in
linuxcnc.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)