[Coco] RF to VGA Converters...

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jan 11 21:54:03 EST 2015

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 09:02:37 PM Allen Huffman did opine
And Gene did reply:
> > On Jan 11, 2015, at 7:24 PM, univax!gatech!destroyer!trantor!kandur
> > <k at qdv.pw> wrote:
> >
> > Sunday, January 11, 2015, 4:27:03 PM, you wrote:
> >> I actually have a CoCo 2 and a 3. The 3 is what I'd use most of the
> >> time.
> >
> > In that case for the Coco3, I would recommend this as an
> > inexpensive, and better solution then a RF or composite video
> > converter. http://tinyurl.com/kavbxvj <http://tinyurl.com/kavbxvj>
>
> I thought that looked familiar -- arcade conversion stuff:
>
> http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cga-ega-yuv-to-vga-arcade-hd-converte
> r-pcb-gbs-8220-gbs-8220.html
>
> $40 and a bit of cabling? Do you get all the proper RGB colors?

More or less Allen.  I have one, and my overall experience was that its
output was at too low a level to give a decent pix, like the contrast was
turned down.  And, the gime seemed to be capable of running it from limit
to limit, and losing detail in clipping.  Then Roy, bless his heart,
started making his adapter, and I am still using his 2nd generation
board, albeit with a 15" lcd P.O.Sale monitor I bought on ebay a few
months back for $65.  So I have a decent pix now, almost on a par with my
8CM515 maggy before the scan tranny let out all the smoke.

If I wasn't in the midst of making that blanket chest on the fall '14
Fine WoodWorking, I would probably be hacking up a new mouse driver
because this POS monitor also has a touch screen output.

I called N.A.P., looking to see if they still had any scan transformers,
and the guy on the phone said he had never heard of an 8CM515.  They I
expect, probably sold at least a million of then to us coco and amiga
people back in the late '80's. Didn't make any diff, there were no
references extant in his parts lists, so it never existed. N.A.P.
(Magnavox) made a good monitor, somewhat brighter and many times sharper
than the shacks CM-8, which FWIW was also made by N.A.P. An 80 column
screen was absolutely readable on it.

> --
> Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227
> (vmail/TXT only) Sub-Etha Software - http://www.subethasoftware.com -
> Established 1990! Sent from my MacBook.
>
> P.S. Since 4/15/14, I have earned OVER $600  in Amazon gift cards via
> Swagbucks! Use my link and I get credit:
> http://swagbucks.com/refer/allenhuffman

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)