[Coco] Disk recovery from I/O ERRORs

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sat Jan 10 19:11:54 EST 2015

> On Jan 10, 2015, at 5:24 PM, Bill Pierce via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> Allen, I used to use the VIP "Zap" program. It's similar to using Ded in OS9. Using the "GAT" table, you should be able to reconstruct the files. The back of the DECB manual has a good section of how the RSDOS files are laid out on disk.

Thanks, Bill -- I very well may have that. I've seen a file called ZAP on some disks I copied.

When I am done (hundreds copied so far, all RS-DOS), I will revisit my stack of bad disks. A few are just copy protected disks (Kyum-Gai has all of the first track bad for instance.)

I do fear that some of my disks were 40 tracks and I will have to revisit ALL of them to see if I am missing 5 tracks of data -- I see 40TRACKS.BAS on a number of them. Uh oh.

Such a mess :) But hey, it was over 15 years of floppy evolution for me.

		-- Allen