[Coco] The COCO vs The Apple II

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Sat Jan 10 17:29:39 EST 2015

Yes, in the CoCo book we talk about how Tandy had the best selling personal
computers into the very early 1980s, but that was mostly the TRS-80 Model
1. At that time it makes sense because Radio Shack stores were everywhere
and the TRS-80's were less expensive than the Apple II or Commodore PET.
The limited technology in the TRS-80 Model I/III/IV/4P series started to
catch up with Tandy by 1982 and their market share dropped dramatically. It
also didn't help that other, lower cost computers became available at mass
market retailers.

At least where I lived (Sayreville, NJ), the predominant computer by the
mid-80s was the Commodore 64, which made "trading" software a breeze. A
handful of my friends had Apple IIs, while fewer still had Atari 8-bits.
There were a few "others" in the mix as well I remember, like a Kaypro and
TI-99/4a. I don't specifically recall anyone having a CoCo at that time,
though I'd be surprised if a few weren't kicking about. I recall most
people eventually transitioning (as the 80s wore on) to either PC clones
predominantly, followed by Amigas, then, distantly, Macintosh's.

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1> and