[Coco] The COCO vs The Apple II

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jan 10 17:37:58 EST 2015

On 11/01/2015 8:18 AM, RETRO Innovations wrote:

> That said, it's a bit unfair to compare a newer CPU like the 6809 with
> the 6502, which is comparable to the 6800, correct?  Had the 6502
> evolved (MOS under Tramiel had no appetite to do so), I think a
> comparable 65XX would have appeared (The '816 has some neat 16 bit
> features, but it's still not as elegant as the '09)
>
> But, I know you knew that, and yes, the 6502 can be a beast to program
> given years of programmers thinking of CPUs as being register based
> (the 6502 wants you to think of zpage as a 256 byte register file, but
> it require a bit different thinking to get there).

That being said, there were more computers with a 6502 (cheaper) and
more people programming it.

I think 6502 programmers and computers evolved to the Zilog Z-80 with
many new systems using it.

The brilliant 6809 just didn't get the same popularity even though it
was so much better.

Smells of the VHS and Betamax scenario doesn't it?   :)

Nick