[Coco] The COCO vs The Apple II

Chris Osborn fozztexx at fozztexx.com
Sat Jan 10 10:59:21 EST 2015

On Jan 10, 2015, at 4:03 AM, didier derny <didier at aida.org> wrote:

> - Many version more or less incompatible...  (incompatibility between versions)

I don’t know what you mean by incompatible. Are you confusing the Apple III or the Macs with an Apple II? I grew up on the Apple II, my first computer was an Apple II+ in 1982. There’s really not much difference between a II and II+, one came with the AppleSoft ROMs and the other didn’t. The IIe came out in 83 and added lowercase, and had an additional 64k RAM card that gave it 128k and 80 column capability. It was slightly different from the earlier computers, but most peripheral cards and software worked fine.

The IIc came out in 84 and the compact design had no slots at all and definitely limited expansion. It too though runs most software. The IIgs came out in 1986, and was a major step up with the 65816. It added 16 bit registers and 24 bit addressing, but it too was still largely backwards compatible with the hardware and software that was designed for the original 1977 Apple II. We used to have a IIgs and II+ sitting side by side, and I can’t think of any software that we had from the II+ that we couldn’t run on the IIgs.

--
Follow me on twitter: @FozzTexx
Check out my blog: http://insentricity.com