[Coco] The COCO vs The Apple II

didier derny didier at aida.org
Sat Jan 10 07:03:59 EST 2015

I discovered the coco recently but I think these are machines are in the same "line"

I guess that programs working on a coco1 are mostly working on the coco2 and coco3

But the Apple II (I should the apples II) are very different

- Many version more or less incompatible...  (incompatibility between versions)
- Incompatibly between the board  (finally everybody has a unique Apple II) [depending on the set of board]
- programming an apple is often hell, check the problem of the 80 cols text screen
  Or the complexity of the hires graphic

I dreamt with the apple II in 1979, but the dream did not last very long

Frankly from the 3 companies,  Apple / Commodore / Tandy

I prefer the machines in this  order  Commodore then Tandy and then Apple  (apple very far)

The coco is nicely designed, mostly easy to repair, and easy to use
The 6809 is a really great processor
And OS9 a great addition to this machine

The only thing I regret is the lack of 40 cols screens on the coco1/coco2

I don’t care on how many chip are in a machine and how many chip it would be possible to remove...
I care about the ease of use and program, and on this point I think the coco is just really great

--
Didier