[Coco] The COCO vs The Apple II

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 06:25:54 EST 2015

On Jan 10, 2015 4:26 AM, "Nick Marentes" <nickma2 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On 10/01/2015 6:11 PM, Tony Cappellini wrote:
>>
>> How did the Apple II being having such a primitive basic, DOS, & CPU
outsell
>> and be so much more popular than the Coco? The Apple II was approximately
>> 3-4 times the cost of the Coco.
>>

> The Apple targeted a more "mature" market. It looked more like a "real"
computer (it had a real keyboard and connected to a monitor) and hardware
folks loved the 6 expansion slots, all internal to the machine yet hidden
inside to preserve the professional looks.

Also Apple made a massive effort to get their computers into elementary
schools, at least in the US.  At a time when home computers were new to
parents they often just bought what the school had.  I remember handouts
from my school actually recommending the purchase of specific Apple IIc
systems.  Very effective advertising at the time.