[Coco] The COCO vs The Apple II

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Sat Jan 10 04:25:19 EST 2015

I can think of several reasons why the Apple II outsold the CoCo.

1.  It got there first, and acquired a lot of devoted fans very fast.

2.  It had an open architecture, amenable to third-party add-ons.

3.  Tandy deliberately hobbled the CoCo with a toy-like 32-column screen
and no provision for a monitor.

4.  Tandy marketed the CoCo as a toy.

5.  Tandy was not particularly welcoming to the third-party market, and its
own software for the CoCo was generally third rate.

Art