[Coco] retrobright

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Jan 9 13:15:19 EST 2015

> On Jan 9, 2015, at 11:26 AM, Bill Loguidice <bill at armchairarcade.com> wrote:
>
> It's good though to see more and more discussions about what to do about
> "yellowed" computers and consoles at various places, because it will almost
> certainly get worse over time. I'm just not sure Retrobrite  (and yes, I'm
> too lazy to look up the correct spelling at the moment) is the ultimate
> answer until we truly know the long-term consequences, though I certainly
> don't fault anyone for trying it.

I was only vaguely aware of Retrobrite from seeing the subject come up, but had not known what it was until I asked on the list in past weeks. Reading up on it, it looks like it's still not the solution. As mention, some have done it, then stored items a few years in dark plastic tubs and had them yellow again.

It seems we don't yet have anyone who knows why it yellowed in the first place.

I was stunned at how bad my CoCo 3 looks now compared to the last time I used it. I have one "new in box" -- I wonder what it will look like when I break the seal.

Once day, we'll be able to 3-D print replacement cases with fine resolution ;-)

		-- Allen