[Coco] [SPAM] Re: retrobright

Steve Batson steve at batsonphotography.com
Fri Jan 9 11:58:57 EST 2015

I'm guessing it has to do with the chemical makeup of the plastic and
that maybe sunlight and heat accelerate it. I've noticed that the problem
isn't just with CoCo's...seems to be with lots of white plastic products.
Some hold their color just fine, some do not. I HATE the yellowing as I'm
sure most do.

I haven't used any of the methods to whiten as I'd be concerned about
further degrading the plastic. I'd rather have a functional case, than one
that gets brittle and eventual cracks, chips, breaks or
crumbles.
What would be nice, would be to have some way to have a
new case available that doesn't yellow but looks like the original. Maybe
3D printing at some point. But I certainly wouldn't pay a lot just to have
a white shiny case.

> Interesting what you said Bill
about having other VC stuff brittle without

> retrobright'ing.

> I guess it all boils down to can a person live with the yellowing
or

> not.  Time will tell for me if using the high concentrate
H202 adversely

<zippster278 at gmail.com>

> wrote:

> My guess would be they urned yellow from being exposed to something
being

> given off

> by something else they were stored with / in (some other

> plastic/wood/cardboard etc.).

> Or maybe something stored in a neighboring locker emitting fumes,
etc.

<coco at maltedmedia.com>

>> wrote:

>> thanks guys for ur help

>> what I don't  understand is why  turned
yellow in the first place

>> when I put them in a climate controlled storage  they
were white  they

>> was left in storage maybe 2 years now there yellow

>> ive gotten a few xoxos of ebay recently  that are the
same model and

>> was made  in the same time frame  and
there  white as can be

From: Bill Loguidice <bill at armchairarcade.com>

for Color

>> Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>

>> Sent: Friday, January 9, 2015 7:40 AM

>> Subject: Re: [Coco] retrobright

>> That is the main reason why I've never bothered to do it to any
of my

>> equipment. It's relatively common (but not universal) for there
to be a

>> re-occurrence of yellowing. I'm more concerned about the
fragility of

>> the

>> plastic with repeated applications than the discoloring. I've
received

>> certain vintage equipment that wasn't retrobrited that had
brittle,

<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1>

>> and

>> Film <http://www.armchairarcade.com/film>; About me and
other ways to

>> get

>> in touch <http://about.me/billloguidice>

>> On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Gabriel Holland via Coco <

>> coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, the yellowing can return in time.  The
common wisdom on Lemon64

<allencoco at yahoo.com>, "CoCoList for Color Computer

>>> Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>

>>>  Date: Friday, January 9, 2015, 8:20 AM

>>>  You can search this list's archives

>>>  for in depth conversations about all of the
questions you're

>>>  asking. Many have used it with good results.
Others report

>>>  that discoloration returns in time. You can also
google

>>>  search for retrobright, which has many
discussions about

>>>  best formulas. I have good results from dish
detergent &