[Coco] CoCo 128-column text mode

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 12:19:57 EST 2015

On Thu, 8 Jan 2015, Allen Huffman wrote:

> Steve Gipson at GRC.com (the guy who coined the term spyware and does
> the excellent Security Now podcast) is the only modern author I know
> that still writes all his PC stuff in assembly... Thus, they will be
> like 40K instead of 50GB. Amazing.

If you are optimizing for _size_, then I can sort of see it.  However,
it still begs the question of why bother in this day and age of huge
memory and disk storage capabilities?

All that said, I enjoy assembly coding immensely.  I'm currently helping
out on a project that uses the PRU units on a BeagleBone Black SBC to code
and decode hard drive MFM data.  The PRUs have no cache, interrupt
handling or a stack - 100% deterministic timing!  Most serious
applications require cycle-counting, so ASM is the only way to go here.
Took a while to get used to the architecture, but it's really very cool. I
cannot believe how much sophistication is squeezed into the TI ARM-8
variant used on the BBB.