[Coco] CoCo 128-column text mode

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jan 7 16:55:27 EST 2015

On 8/01/2015 7:41 AM, William Astle wrote:
> That's what it should do. On mine, though, it starts out doing that
> then the whole machine crashes after 30 or so steps. Even if it
> doesn't crash hard, it leaves a whole bunch of stuff messed up. Things
> like "RUN" giving a syntax error, ENTER not working, etc. It's like
> memory is getting corrupted somehow.
>
> The same doesn't seem to happen on the hires screen.
>
> It could be my coco3 that has an issue somewhere but it seems
> otherwise stable. It would be interesting if others have instability
> of some kind during or after running that program on a 32 column screen.

These GIME features were not designed for VDG mode. VDG mode works as
VDG mode not as GIME mode but because they are integrated into the chip,
some things will partially work while others don't.

There are many of these "GIME bugs".

There is nothing wrong with your computer. This is normal.

Tricks can be had mixing them but most are not of any use.

Nick