[Coco] CoCo 128-column text mode

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jan 7 16:12:27 EST 2015

On 8/01/2015 7:03 AM, Allen Huffman wrote:
>> On Jan 7, 2015, at 3:01 PM, Zippster <zippster278 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was kind of wondering about the composite image being so far to the left on my coco3
>> that some of the picture was actually cut off.
>>
>> It seemed too much to be something that would have been produced that way, so I
>> thought maybe some component value in mine had drifted enough over the years
>> to cause it.  So they’re all like that?
>>
>> I guess there’s no padding in the signal to compensate for overscan.
> All that I saw, back then. Lots of complaining from my CC3 friends who were using TVs like me. Is this something the GIME is doing?
>
> 		-- A

Let's not forget that the GIME chip does many things. It's not only a
video chip.

As for video though, remember that it is also emulating the 6847VDG as
well as the newer GIME modes.

Some things are going to be "off" in the process. I think the GIME does
very well and is a credit to the designers.

Having said that, my CoCo3 video output is fine, both on my CM8 and TV.
Maybe it's the fact I run the '87 GIME version, maybe it's PAL video
that produces a cleaner 80 column text on a TV.

Nick