[Coco] Is Mocha DEAD?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jan 7 12:38:24 EST 2015

On Wednesday, January 07, 2015 09:44:47 AM Sean did opine
And Gene did reply:
> What is doing the scanning on your work PC?  Like a corporate
> firewall/web gateway? Norton Safeweb seems to think it's fine.

I went there with iceweazal, was greeted by a front page that demands I
use only Oracle registered Java to access it. Since I am a member of the
FSF, that is bloody well not going to happen.  Any site that demands I
install something just to look at the site, is an attempt at lockin just
as bad as M$ treats its users.

We fix vulnerabilities found in free software within 24-48 hours. Neither
of the behemoths deign to do so within 3-6 months as a general rule, and
in one case fixed recently, 14 years!

To me it is up to the site owner to fix the site if he want to sell the
clicks.  Make all access use https if you feel you must.  Its a bit
slower, but it doesn't insult the users intelligence by asking him to
install proprietary software that has not been audited by the many
eyeballs theory. It probably has more bugs than a 10 day old road kill
carcass, they just haven't been found yet, by anyone but the NSA.  But we
can't LOOK, we have to take Oracles word for it. I haven't taken Larry's
word for anything in 20 years.  My experience with how he did support
that was bought and paid for by the year was enough to sour me forever.

This is comparable to my having to even remove my belt and shoes because
the buckle was metal and so was the arch support in my $180 shoes, just
to go and talk to someone at the local SS office about 5 years ago.

I had sense enough to leave my carry piece in the truck and didn't mind
dumping the pair of small pocket knives in the tray, but my coin purse
and its contents, the two keyrings with the house and car keys, a pocket
flashlight, my anti rf card case with everything in it that made whoever
possesed it, me for the rest of their lives, and a timex wrist watch with
its metal back were in there already when they made me take off my belt
and shoes just to talk to someone that was too damned protected by a
phone system designed to make it difficult and was unable to be directed
to THAT person as a result. That won't happen again, I'll send a lawyer &
let him deal with all that BS just because 1 in 200k people has a plugged
rectum.

Fix the site.

> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Allen Huffman <alsplace at pobox.com>
wrote:
> > It's blocked with a huge warning from my work PC as a dangerous
> > site.
> >
> > > On Jan 6, 2015, at 11:56 PM, Rogelio Perea <os9dude at gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > Nope, not dead. Depending on the browser and OS you will have to
> > > go
> >
> > through
> >
> > > some prompts to clear out the haplessgenius web page as allowed to
> > > engage Java. The noted URL is good. I just tested on Win7 and
> > > Firefox - had to "re-do" the plugin setup, had not run Mocha in a
> > > while in my desktop. It works.
> > >
> > > The Tandycoco Forum link? could be an issue with that particular
> > > website, not the Mocha site.
> > >

> > > -- RP

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)