[Coco] Tandy Electronics??!!

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Jan 2 09:20:23 EST 2015

> On Jan 1, 2015, at 10:09 PM, Bill Loguidice <bill at armchairarcade.com> wrote:
>
> I know you can't effectively compare the resolution of a vector display to
> that of a raster display, but it seems to me that even disregarding the
> whole apples to oranges thing, how can the CoCo 3 emulate the Vectrex
> correctly when the Vectrex effectively has a higher resolution?

The same way MAME did it on VGA resolution PCs - poorly :)  Actually, the same could be said about any emulation of vetor graphics with "unlimited" line resolution (just a set amount of start and end-points).

> (By the way, I'm a huge Vectrex fan and have a large collection of items
> related to it; versus almost all other vintage hardware, thanks to the
> Vectrex's unique display, it's arguably one of the few vintage videogame or
> computer systems that genuinely requires the original hardware (versus any
> type of emulation) for the "proper" experience.)

Agreed -- there's nothing quite like a vector display. I will say that with a Retina graphics display on an iPad, the Vectrex emulator I have is quite impressive because you can't see the pixels. They even try to change the brightness from start dots to end dots, so the more that is being drawn the dimmer it gets to the end.

Man, good times. I never owned one, but we had a friend with one.

		-- Allen