[Coco] Expanding 4K Coco Mem

Ciaran Anscomb cocomalt at 6809.org.uk
Fri Jan 2 03:52:37 EST 2015

Nick Marentes wrote:
> So what's the best CLEAR xxxx,yyyy statement to use with the XROAR
> emulator to make  it act like a 4K Color Basic computer?
>
> I have Color Basic 1.0 running but it's set to 16K (?) and I'm having
> trouble setting it to run with less (so many menu's don't work!).

I think I've finally nailed the menu issue.  If you fancy a bit of
bleeding-edge-ness, try the latest snapshot here (don't worry that the
32- & 64-bit version numbers differ, it's just down to when I built them):

http://www.6809.org.uk/tmp/xroar/

With the following in your "xroar.conf", you should get an extra option
in the "Machines" menu (and more to the point, be able to select it):

machine coco4k
  machine-desc Tandy CoCo 4K
  machine-arch coco
  tv-type ntsc
  ram 4
  bas bas10
  noextbas
  nodos

> I'm going to have a bash but 4K Color Basic seems a bit to "VIC 20 like"
> for my liking.

Good luck!

BTW, in Windows, the following directories are searched for "xroar.conf":

current working directory (e.g., dir you clicked xroar.exe)
%USERPROFILE%/Local Settings/Application Data/XRoar/
%USERPROFILE%/Application Data/XRoar/

And if you wanted a common place to keep them, these are the directories
searched for ROM images:

current working directory
%USERPROFILE%/Local Settings/Application Data/XRoar/roms/
%USERPROFILE%/Application Data/XRoar/roms/

..ciaran