[Coco] Tandy Electronics??!!

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jan 1 19:24:30 EST 2015

On 2/01/2015 10:08 AM, Allen Huffman wrote:
>> On Jan 1, 2015, at 5:53 PM, Nick Marentes <nickma2 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> Last I heard, Windows (combined versions) was running past the 80% mark which doesn't leave much room for everything else.
> And it's much lower if you actually just count "end users" rather than business accounts. Linux count does the same thing, though -- if you count all the embedded Linuxes running in routers, TiVos, server racks, etc.
>
> When you get rid of business appliances and faceless systems, Mac OS X has a huge market share.
>
> I guess if I was wanting to know as a developer, I wouldn't want to count all the work PCs (they aren't allowed to buy and install their own software usually) or embedded appliances (sure it runs Embedded Windows, but it's not like you can install my Angry Birds 2K app on that kiosk).
>
> So many sources for this data. And when you decide to count tablets as computers it changes even more. I bet we never have a good, clear criteria other than "hey it has a copy of this code in it so I'm counting it!"
> --

There are a lot of Windows systems sitting on people's desks at the
workplace.

Maybe people would like the "sex factor" of the Mac but I'm afraid it's
a Windows world out there. With 90% of the desktop, all the other
players can squable over the remaining 10%, it really doesn't make a
difference.

I wonder if we could do a system count of computers in hobby use from
the 80's and what the percentages are here, where would the CoCo sit?

Judging by the media coverage in Retro Systems magazines and books, I
suspect we're pretty low.   :(

Nick