[Coco] Off-topic question for electronics wizards

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Sat Feb 28 22:16:40 EST 2015

I've seen these units before (Verizon FiOS ONT).  The battery is a standard lead-acid gel type.  These types of batteries almost always use a charger which checks battery voltage and applies a charge if the voltage falls below a preset level.  In my opinion, you have a couple of options here.  But these easiest one to try might simply be a small electrolytic capacitor.  You could probably get by with something like 100 microfarads rated at 25 volts.  Disconnect the battery completely and connect the electrolytic capacitor in its place being sure to observe polarity (electrolytics have a nasty way of acting like a firecracker if they're hooked up backwards).  The unit will initially see the electrolytic as a dead battery, try to charge it up, which it will do in a matter of a fraction of a second, and then believe it is always charged.  If the capacitor leaks down in charge a bit the charger will just continue to keep it "topped up".  The capacitor should last for years; much longer than a lead-acid battery.  And, it shouldn't cost you but a buck or two.

Dave Philipsen