[Coco] Socat drivewire relay to CoCo1

jon bird news at onastick.clara.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 14:17:14 EST 2015

> On Saturday 28 February 2015 06:21:02 jon bird wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Now I've got my CoCo 1 up and running again I thought I'd give
>> Drivewire a go. A couple of initial queries then - I made the cable up
>> iaw with the diagram here:

[...]

>> In both instances I'm using the same Prolific USB serial port
>> converter. I've also tried swapping out the Rasperry Pi with a Linux
>> laptop and get the same behaviour.
>
> There is a magic swear word to me, Prolific. Often bad dogs, throwing
> away the first byte of a usb packet when it come from a slow source so
> it has time to go to sleep. I have never been able to get one to talk to
> a UPS as the UPS's data output is so slow.
>
> FDTI stuff just works.

It would make a degree of sense that it's the P**l***c adaptor then given
that the network traffic looks good so the only thing that could really
mangle it is the 232 end and maybe the timings are just about good enough
running on the local loopback device to stop it going to sleep (or any
other odd things it may do). We have some FDTI ones knocking around at
work so I should be able to nab one of those for a bit (oddly enough it's
the FDTI ones that always seem to misbehave under Windows...). I should
also have the bits to build the Dragon's Drivewire adaptor in the near
future so that will give another angle on it for me to try.

[...]
> A possibility since ISTR you mentioned the RPi, is to run linux on it,
> and set its cups server up to do that.  But my way also makes that
> printer available to any of the other 4 machines on my home network.

I have CUPS running on my main Linux box so I'd probably just have the Rpi
forward requests to that then onto one of the rack of printers hanging of
that.

Rgs,

jon.

== mailto:jon at onasticksoftware.co.uk - in real life jon bird
==  http://www.onasticksoftware.co.uk - stuff, on-a-stick
==   "men love women, women love children, children love hamsters"
==    <technology out of control>