[Coco] Can't copy real floppy to CoCo-SDC on a CoCo 2

mike at borncoco.com mike at borncoco.com
Fri Feb 27 13:48:38 EST 2015

I've managed to alter the issue slightly, but the BACKUP command still will not work between the CoCo-SDC and a real floppy on my CoCo 2.

I have removed one of the floppy drives. The remaining drive appears to be a Tandon TM-65L. There is a terminating resistor pack installed (RP1), the DS jumper is set to D0, and I'm using a straight flat ribbon cable and the drive is connected to the last connector on the cable.

I issue DRIVE 0,OFF and I can access the real floppy as drive zero. I can do a dir and load programs from the real floppy without issue. Likewise, I have a DSK image mounted from the SD-card as drive 1 and I can also do a DIR, SAVE to drive 1 without issue. Now, if I attempt to do a "BACKUP 0 TO 1" I now get an "?IO ERROR" instead of "?SN ERROR". SDC-DOS still seems to be working, but for some reason, the BACKUP command fails. When I issue the "BACKUP" command, it starts to read the real floppy. The LED on the CoCo-SDC never lights up. Any ideas on what's happening or further troubleshooting ideas?

Cheers,
-Mike Rowen