[Coco] Multipak redesign/replacement

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Feb 26 20:11:44 EST 2015

On Thursday 26 February 2015 14:39:48 Richard E Crislip wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 22:33:17 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Au contaire;
> >
> > Transmission line class 101 is in session:
[...]
> > Class dismissed, says great grandpa Gene.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> I know you've been showered with flowers already, I am floored that
> this is coming from one w/o a silly degree. All self taught. I'm not
> worthy.

You have been here Richard, even drank some of my coffee & talked, so I am
surprised that you are. I must have hid it under a bushel, my bad. ;-)  Did I
not give you the 50 cent tour and show off some of what I've done?

Basically I do not have the degree because I didn't need it.  Lots of OJT for
sure, very very little of it since forgotten.  There was a time when, if I
didn't understand the principles of what I was doing, the public library was
my classroom.  It has been a seesaw but the libraries have now lost the
battle as wikipedia's info is much more up to date.  The libraries don't
appear to care is whats worse.

After I retired, I took a 15 year stack of McGraw-Hill's "Electronics" to the
local library, saying that there was info in them that should enthral the
budding electronics type, or materials science for that matter because back
then they were also keeping us slobs in the ditches, up to date on the latest
semiconductor fabrication techniques.  Stuff that was way beyond what an EE
got from his prof's in any 4 year degree path from any school on the planet.

2 weeks later I was back in the library for something else, and expected to
see them on the periodicals shelf. Weren't. I asked the girl at the desk what
happened to them and was told the head librarian had thrown them out, more
fairy tales than science.

I think it was Sir Arther C. Clark who said:

I guess to her, that was magic & she wanted nothing to do with it.

Needless to say, I shed a few tears thinking of opportunities lost for
promising youngsters, and it is a sure thing bet that I have made no more
donations to that library.  Their loss IMO, but I'll be damned if I put any
more potentially useful materials in that building, its a black hole for
technical stuff.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)